Trickbots used to access online accounts, including bank accounts.
NCSC has reported that Trickbots are being used by criminals to access online accounts, including bank accounts, to obtain personally identifiable information (PII).
Trickbots target victims with well crafted emails, which often contain an attachment or link which victims are instructed to open , leading to their equipment being exploited. Once access is gained the Trickbot can download new capabilities onto a device without interaction from the victim.
Mitigations should include:
- Run a full scan on all devices of anti virus software
- Use the latest versions of operating systems and software
- Apply security patches promptly
- Make sure important data is stored in offline backups to reduce the impact of ransomware
- Use Multi Factor Authentication
- Set up security monitoring for analysis of intrusions
- Whitelisting of permitted applications
Make sure you have a comprehensive cyber insurance policy with Sentio Insurance Brokers
Human Error is the main cause of Data Breaches
A recent report from Cybsafe announced that 90% of data breaches in the UK are caused by human error. The analysed data from the Information Commissioners Office showed that 9 out of 10 of the 2376 breaches reported in 2019 were mistakes by users.
Phishing was reported as the main cause with 45% of the breaches attributed to this, whilst unauthorised access, brute force attacks, and ransomware were also highlighted in the report.
As well as reviewing your cyber security measures, make sure you have the right insurances in place with Sentio Insurance Brokers.